Cyber Risk Management Summer Intern
About New York City Cyber Command:
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
About the Role
NYC3’s Strategy Division seeks motivated Cyber Risk Interns to support our cybersecurity mission during the summer 2020 term.
Under the supervision of the Director of Cyber Risk, you will help augment cyber risk analysis through researching key and emerging trends, providing programmatic support, and conducting strategic analysis. You will also work with the Cyber Risk Program Manager and Analytics Team to manage ongoing projects designed to assess and reduce cyber risk across NYC through an understanding of cyber threats and vulnerabilities from an impact perspective.
Activities of the Cybersecurity Cyber Risk Intern will include, but are not limited to:
- Tracking and monitoring of emerging risks, major incidents, and governance.
- Researching local, state, and federal cybersecurity legislation relevant to NYC3.
- Examining trends in cyber risk assessment (i.e., quantification and scenario planning).
- Conducting original research and analysis of operational risk, cyber resilience, state and local governments, and geopolitical risk.
In this role, you will also support the development of the cyber risk management program and collaborate with the Cyber Risk Program Manager and Analytics Team to:
- Assist in development and production of strategic analysis and program documents.
- Identify potential stakeholders and partnerships to advance program goals.
- Collect metrics for the Cyber Risk team’s strategic objectives.
- Manage project plans and track short-term project deliverables.
- Codify newly created processes through documentation.
In your cover letter, please describe your experience and focus on one of the aforementioned areas. NYC Cyber Command aims to train you in an active operational environment so you can directly support our mission, gain unique experience, and hopefully join NYC3 as a qualified full-time employee.
You are mission-focused and dedicated to public service. You are both curious and diligent; you know how to scope a research project and produce a polished brief. You have a knack for researching new topics and quickly understanding a shifting landscape - and you know how to clearly and concisely articulate your insights. You enjoy working on a heterogenous, inclusive team and are comfortable in a dynamic, ambiguous environment.
- Majors and concentrations in political science/government, political risk, international relations, law, statistics, computer science, economics, philosophy, intelligence, security, or psychology
- Demonstrated active listening and teamwork skills
- Policy analysis and legislative reviews of complex, multidisciplinary issues
- Coursework in technology and/or cybersecurity, reflecting a basic understanding of threats, vulnerabilities, and assets - and how to assess impact.
- Familiarity with risk assessment and the risk management process related to operational risk, information security, etc.
- Analysis of strategic, systemic, and complex issues
- Deep understanding of geopolitical issues, trends and drivers
- Exceptional critical thinking skills demonstrating support of executive decision making
- Meticulous research capabilities, specifically area of cybersecurity.
Eligibility and Housing about Summer Internships can be found here:
ALL INTERNSHIPS WILL NOT EXCEED 13 WEEKS BETWEEN MAY 4, 2020 AND SEPTEMBER 25, 2020.